Monday, May 30, 2011

A work in progress.

So, if you saw our post about our new house, you'll remember that our new kitchen is quite small.  Also, if you know us very well, you know that we really enjoy cooking and entertaining.  Therefore, we decided to make our first project a full renovation of the kitchen to make it a more open space for us.

Because we had such a long weekend, we decided to just get started!  Our first step is to remove the wall between the kitchen and dining room.

Here's the before picture ...


The room is quite small as it is, but it has yet to have any appliances, so it'd be very hard to move around with more than one person in the kitchen. 

DAY 1
Dan decided to get a start on removing the cabinets last night, however we had to stop after he removed the top cabinets because the countertop was too heavy for the two of us. 


DAY 2
Today my dad and brother were out and helped to take down the rest of the kitchen cabinets and get the room down to a nearly bare wall.


Here's the whole process...

And the before and after.

As you can see, Dan LOVES having his own house to demolish...until next time. 




3 comments:

  1. Hey, this looks FUN!!! (and I'm not even kidding). :)
    SOOOO....I hope this isn't too forward, I was wondering what your plans were for arranging the kitchen? I obviously haven't been in the space to know if this would entirely work, but may I make a suggestion?
    What if you rip out that wall between the rooms (the one all the cabinets were on)? Turn the kitchen around and put all your cabinets on the opposite wall. If you still want some sort of divider between the two rooms, you could keep lower cabinets with countertop and bar-seating on the other side. Is that confusing?
    I also don't know what that other room is, so maybe you don't want to be able to see into your kitchen---- but I could see it being VERY awesome and great for entertaining. It would really open up the space and make it feel a lot bigger.
    And who knows, maybe you were already thinking this? Anyway, just had to throw that out there. :) Let me know if I can clarify anything or if you want other ideas (not to sound too pushy...sorry!). Congrats on a new house...exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel...thanks for commenting, I'm ALWAYS open to more ideas and suggestions. This is totally new for us, but way exciting! As for the kitchen, I will attempt to explain what we're thinking, though I may try to sketch up a general layout and upload on the blog soon for suggestions (I'm much more of a visual person!)

    1. We're indeed going to remove the wall between the kitchen and "dining room" (that's what we're calling the other room)
    2. If you look closely, there is a door in the dining room leading to the back of the house. We're going to replace that with a window and turn the large windows next to it into sliding glass doors.
    3. Our kitchen sink will be below the door replacing window along with a few cabinets above and below. The cabinetry will continue making an "L" shape into the back of the old kitchen.
    4. Looking into the kitchen the refrigerator and a few tall pantry type cabinets will be on the left wall.
    5. Our stove and even more cabinets will be on the wall where the former doorway from the kitchen to dining room was.

    Like I said, words don't do much for me. I need to draw it out for myself so when I do I'll upload it to the blog.

    Thanks again, and any more suggestions are always greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I think your plans sound awesome!!! :) It sounds like you've thought through it a lot and have a lot of great ideas. Can't wait to see it finished. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete