Tuesday, October 11, 2011

my creative outlet.

It's been a long couple of weeks...lots and LOTS of meetings and paperwork for my job.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to let up for a couple of MONTHS!  But, despite the busy week, I'm trying to find ways to really relax on the weekends.

This past weekend we tackled our bedroom - we've been in need of a new mattress for quite a while (since returning from overseas!!).  We spent a day shopping and that night enjoyed a very restful night!  I'd been wanting to update our bedroom look and this gave me just the excuse to go shopping! =)


My inspiration was this beautiful fabric I found on fabric.com


When we moved in, I painted one wall in our bedroom a chocolate brown, but left the other walls white.  I didn't want to spend a lot of time decorating because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do.  When I found this fabric, I knew right away that I wanted to try to make some of these roman shades - I stumbled across this tutorial through my friend Rachel's blog a few months ago.  




What do you think?  
The pictures aren't that great - the wall is a bright white, as is the background of the fabric.  I lined the back of the fabric with a white flannel to give it a little less see-through quality, as well as to aide in warmth in the winter as we have yet to change the two windows the shades hang on.  I love the look of the shade being drawn - I may just leave them up most of the time as these windows are on the back of the house and get some great evening sunlight.

I opted for blue for bedding - a light baby-blue for the sheets and a lovely navy comforter.  I even found this great pillow with embroidered birds that I think tie the bed and shades together well.


Again, the picture isn't that great...but I really like the navy and chocolate brown together, as well as the way the shades look on the white wall.  

My next project is to create a headboard for the bed...I'd like to do a simple upholstered headboard.  What do you think of these fabric choices?

1

2

3

4

I'd really like bring in some of the orange/rust color from the fabric and the pillow...but not sure how much is TOO much.  What's your vote?  Other suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. SHOUT OUT! haha, I was so shocked when I saw my name. Score! Your shade turned out great, way to go! I think my vote for your headboard is ...well, I don't know. At first I thought either #1 or #4...but then I thought they might be too similar to your original fabric. The more I looked, the more I liked option #3. Overall, my favorite is #4. Whatever you end up choosing will look great and REALLY make your bed pop out from the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama King likes patterns 1 and 3... specifically 3, but whatever you choose will be awesome, and YOU. I miss you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a personal bias against orange, but #3 is a pretty pattern. I of course would go for #4, but I'd put green and blue anywhere and everywhere. Definitely something bright to contrast with the brown would be good.

    Love the shades!

    ReplyDelete