Thursday, January 26, 2012

satisfying my sweet-tooth

Heading into this week, I made sure to stock up on fruit and veggies in preparation for this week's challenge of NO SUGAR!  Problem is, I get bored with fresh fruit and veggies easily.  So, in an effort to keep it appealing, I made a few fun snacks to eat along with my raw snacks.



1. grown up fruit roll up

source
I found this recipe on pinterest this weekend.  
Grandma used to make these every summer and freeze.  
My bro and I would sneak one out of the freezer periodically while staying with her in the summers.
She wasn't happy when we went through the freezer full in a few weeks one summer!  
Don't be surprised if you eat the entire pan in one evening - these are DELICIOUS!
This recipe calls for sugar, but I opted not to add anything to my berries (besides a little lemon juice).
So yummy!

2. quick apple sauce


peel and cut apples.

microwave on high 4 minutes or until soft.
chop in food processor.
enjoy warm or refrigerate.
I like it just as it, but you can add cinnamon and sugar as you like!

3. breakfast smoothies with spinach


throw whatever you want in and blend!
I used a handful of blue berries and raspberries, 
1/2 c. frozen strawberries,
1 banana,
1/2 c. peaches with juice (thawed from day before)
1/4 c. milk (more if you don't have any other juices)
handful of spinach.
**depending on your fruit, you may end up with a beautiful green smoothie, but you won't even taste the spinach**


4. breakfast muffins

These have become our go-to breakfast item over the past few weeks.  
Each week I change it up a bit - throwing in a variety of veggies and meat.
I honestly just make it up each week, but here's the basic idea...

2-3 pieces of bread {optional}
12 eggs {one per muffin tin}
1/2 onion
1/2 green pepper
1/2 tomato
2-3 pieces bacon or sausage
1/2 cup shredded cheese
sour cream {optional}

Line muffin tins with foil baking tins.
Tear bread into small pieces and put a few pieces in each muffin tin
Break one egg in each tin.
Use fork to break yoke and scramble together a little.
Cut vegetables and meat into small pieces and distribute evenly in tins.
top with cheese

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until tops are golden brown and egg is fully cooked.

5. peach cobbler 


Check out recipe posted earlier this week.
Such a delicious and easy treat.

6. peanut butter and jelly cookies

Found this recipe today on one of the blogs I follow.  
They weren't as good as I had hoped, but I think it was due to the peanut butter I used.
I used all natural - one ingredient - peanut butter, but I don't think I mixed the oil in well enough before using because I think my cookies ended up being too oily.
I let them cool on a paper bag and I think that sucked all the oils out leaving a dry and crumbly cookie.
Oh, well, they still taste pretty wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wait... I see you have more posts... guess I'll read them and follow.. Perhaps I'll blog on my challenge too, that's a great idea. Follow me at http://aardwolfnews.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete