Monday, March 26, 2012

a special treat.



As a rule, I try to cook as much as I can from scratch rather than from a box.  So, in celebration of my mother's 50th birthday, I decided to try and bake some delicious German Chocolate Cupcakes from scratch.  I've never tried to bake a cake from scratch, so I figured cupcakes were a good place to start.

The recipe I used is from The Cupcake Project.  This fun blog by Stef is filled with incredible cupcake recipes, featuring a new one each week.  She also has a great "Stef's answers" section that gives detailed answers to some of a new baker's biggest questions.  Totally recommend checking it out!


I followed the recipe, with the exception of using 100% Ghirardelli Premium Baking Chocolate.  I figured an extra dark chocolate would help to balance the sweetness of the cake AND the frosting.





I was especially excited to use my homemade vanilla for the first time in this recipe!  {for sale in my etsy shop}


I made these the day before, which turned out to be necessary as the frosting needed to sit overnight to thicken.


Stef points out in her recipe that the frosting isn't that pretty - and I agree.  She suggested topping it with more coconut and some shaved chocolate - brilliant.  I opted for a sweeter chocolate for this and I think they look spectacular.


Such a hit with the family!  Definitely going to have to do these again sometime soon.



ps. this recipe makes A LOT of cupcakes...I got 39 out of it!






No comments:

Post a Comment