Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DIY homemade vanilla.


This winter I spent way too many hours browsing Pinterest.  {Too many hours!}  But, when I found this recipe for homemade vanilla extract, I knew I had to give it a try.

So, I bought a pound of Madagascar vanilla beans, 24 cute little medicine jars, and a giant bottle of vodka and gave it a try.  {The vodka functions as a preservative for the vanilla beans, so no other ingredients were necessary - all natural, just the way we like!}

First, I cut open the vanilla beans to expose the tiny seeds inside, then put 1 1/2 whole beans into each jar before topping it off with vodka.



Give it a little shake and watch as the vodka changes color as it mixes with the vanilla beans.


Let sit and allow the vanilla beans to steep in the vodka for 6-8 weeks, the vodka will continue to darken as it takes on the vanilla flavor.

When it's finished, you have a fantastic bottle of delicious homemade vanilla extract to use in place of that eh imitation crap.  


I was able to use my first batch for mom's birthday cupcakes a few weeks ago and it was delicious!  

Because I bought all the items in bulk, I've ended up with an abundance of homemade vanilla extract!  If you're interested in your very own bottle, head over to my etsy shop and grab yourself one!

Or check out some other great tutorials online and try it for yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment