Thursday, April 26, 2012

herb gardens

get herb markers like these in our shop
There's nothing quite like the taste of fresh herbs.  Last winter, while living in a small apartment, we used our AeroGarden to grow an assortment of herbs {thanks to a Christmas gift from Dan's parents}.  It was so great to be able to grow something, not only in the winter, but in a 2nd story apartment with little sunlight.  We loved being able snip a few sprigs of mint to spice up our tea, or some basil leaves to make our own homemade tomato sauce.

This year, we took longer than expected to get it out of storage, and by the time we were ready to plant {and had bought} seeds it was nearly gardening season.  We decided to put it back in storage until next winter, until I realized how anxious I am to have those fresh herbs again.



So far, I've planted herbs in our garden, and started a few pots in the kitchen, but I decided to go ahead and start some in the AeroGarden since they grow so much faster!  {I am kind of lacking in the area of patience!}


I'm also eager to try my hand at drying and freezing herbs this summer/fall.  I can't believe how expensive herbs and spices are at the store, some day I'd love to have a spice cabinet full of my OWN homegrown herbs!  Someday!



No comments:

Post a Comment