Thursday, April 12, 2012

a little roadblock


Last week, I was reminded that while optimism is good, patience is much more important when working on a house.

I was very eager to get started on our master bedroom over spring break.  Dan worked really hard to change out all the old drafty windows, so the next step was getting the room painted.  I decided to use our recently made headboard  for inspiration and found two great shades of blue for the room.

Remember how the room was a lovely crimson color when we moved in?  Well if you look closely, you'll  notice that they painted the ceiling as well!  During our first few days in the house, my mom and sister-in-law helped me prime the entire room with "high hiding primer."  This process not only helped to lighten up the room over the past 10 months, but it also saved me an extra coat of two of paint this time around.  {definitely recommend a high-hiding primer for covering unwanted dark walls - covers well and is definitely a time saver}

After I figured out my wall or ceiling dilema, I started painting the walls.  I fell in love instantly with the light blue color, which takes on a gray tone in the sunlight.

this picture doesn't do it justice!

again, not the best picture of the colors!
When I was finished with the first wall, Dan suggested that I pull off the baseboards in order to paint behind - creating a more crisp look.  We are planning to refinish the floor eventually so the baseboards would have had to come up eventually.

This is where we ran into a little hiccup.  As I was tearing off the trim and baseboards around the room, I came across some significant water damage near the master bathroom {can you call a toilet stall a bathroom?}.


 went ahead and finished my first coat of paint around the room, but my curiosity got the best of me and I put the brush down and grabbed the prybar.

That's when I took it upon myself to remove the sink and vinyl flooring only to found this...



What a mess!

I decided that I should put the painting on hold and clean up this mess - pretty sure all that mold isn't exactly healthy!  It didn't take much to clean up as the drywall was so damaged it practically fell off the wall. You'll notice that the floor looks a little wet in the picture above - not sure if I did that while removing the sink or if it was wet because of a deeper leak.  I decided to put a fan on it to try and dry it out for a day to see if those wet spots would go away.


Thankfully there is no current leak, and all the wet spots have dried up.  But what a mess!?

Our plan was to finish the bedroom walls and floors then move our belongings upstairs.  We've been dreaming about turning this bathroom into a full bath by adding a corner shower stall like this.   But figured that'd be down the road once we got a few other items taken care of downstairs.  However, now that the sink and vinyl are out we've decided to move the bathroom up on the to-do list and start working on transforming it this spring!

So, I may not have gotten done all I had hoped in the master bedroom, but I did find a way to move the whole project up on the list! And why not?  Why not make one big mess and get it all taken care of before we move up there?!  It's just going to take a little more patience!


No comments:

Post a Comment