Monday, April 23, 2012

what's for dinner?


After a long day at work, nothing feels better than comfort food.  The weather has been cooler these past few days and it's put me in the mood for a good hearty soup.  We made a whole chicken last weekend, and had just a few left overs to finish up so I decided that a little Chicken Noodles was just what we needed to warm us up.  Served with our scrumptious cornbread muffins with real butter on the side, this easy, throw-it-together recipe was perfect!

Easy Chicken Noodles 
  • Chicken {I used left over whole chicken, you could use a few chicken breasts, or even a can of cooked chicken}
  • 6 cups water/broth {I used bullion because we were out of broth, though I definitely prefer homemade broth}
  • 2 carrots - diced
  • 2 celery stalks - diced
  • 1/4 onion - diced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • oregano, parsley, & garlic powder to taste {I rarely measure, just go with my gut and add more after a taste if it needs it}
  • 1 lb egg noodles {sometimes I make homemade ones from my grandmother's recipe, but this time I used some we picked at Schmuckers this weekend}
  1. Fill a large stock pot with water.  Add meat, veggies, and seasonings and bring to a boil.
  2. Once veggies are soft, about 20 minutes, add egg noodles and cook as directed. 
  3. Soup is ready to eat when it is the desired consistency {cook longer for thicker soup, or add a bit of flour dissolved in water to thicken}
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment