Thursday, June 21, 2012

curtain call.


My favorite part about owning a house is having the ability to decorate!!  Having always lived in temporary spaces, I've never felt like I could really make it my own.  I hated the idea of painting a wall in a rented apartment, just to have to paint it white {or pay a fee for someone else to} when we moved out.  Also, hanging things on the wall was fine and dandy until it came to patching all those holes and again painting over them.

Now, however, it's all mine.  I can do what I want with the entire house....and because of this, the ideas are endless {thanks Pinterest}.  


I found this great fabric a few months ago during one of my many visits to Ikea.  I immediately fell in love with the black and white pattern with a splash of color.  I knew right away that I wanted to incorporate it into the kitchen somehow.  Knowing that I'd find a project, eventually, I bought what was left on the bolt - about 2.5 yards.



At first I thought I'd use it to cover my future kitchen chairs...but figured the white would be too hard to keep clean, and the fabric didn't seem durable enough for everyday wear and tear.  My next thought was curtain panels to line the windows, but after realizing that at least one of these panels would rest on the counter top, I scrapped that idea - not to mention realizing that without another trip to Ikea {2.5 hours away} I wouldn't have enough for all the windows anyways!

Finally, I settled on a simple valance with shades underneath.  To be honest, the curtain panels I originally planned on doing would be strictly for looks and not at all functional.  However, the valances now hide the shades when they're not in use and help to unify the space around the dining area.


I'm in love with these accordion shades from Target.  Not only do they look great and have no strings dangling, but they super energy efficient.  During the evenings I keep them pulled down and it's amazing how well they block the evening sun and heat.

Above the sink I opted for simple cafe curtains.  This decision was two fold, first of all the window above the sink is hung much lower than the other window on that wall {making it difficult to do another valance as it would need to be hung very high and cover very little of the window in order to look right}, secondly I was unable to find a matching widow shade in the appropriate width.  I like being able to see out my window while doing dishes, but with a west facing window, the sun is often in our eyes doing evening dishes {when we do them!}.  They turned out the be more decorative and less functional as they do very little to block the evening sun this time of year, but they look great and I love the cafe style look.


I'm so pleased with how it has turned out.  I still very much love the fabric and how it gives a little fun and funky vibe to the clean lines of the kitchen.  I love being in my kitchen and that makes me happy - we created this kitchen from scratch, we made it OURS!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jess, my mom gave me the link to your blog! Now I can look at your home renovation too! I wish I knew how to make curtains!!! That's on my bucket list ;) Although I do have to brag that I got curtain rods for every room in my house today at JoAnn Fabrics- 50% off plus a 15% coupon?! SCORE!!

    Lyndsay =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. That is quite a score. Also, don't be intimidated by curtains, they really are super easy. Mine are just cut to length, hemmed at the bottom and top - the top being a big enough hem to fit my rod through. Easy! Using a random pattern helps too to hide uneven cuts or hems! ;)

      Good luck!

      Ps. Love watching your house come together on your blog!

      Delete