Tuesday, June 19, 2012

my other job

Seriously, owning a house {not to mention a fixer upper} is a full time job. I thought I was going to have a nice relaxing and slow paced summer...but instead I'm working - HARD!! I'm thankful to have this time to devote to the house, and really feel like we are making progress again after a lull these past few months.

Last night we finally finished the electrical in the living room and most of the upstairs bedroom {with the exception of the future bathroom area}. That job took FOREVER. First of all, we are newbies and had to learn along the way.  Apparently the previous owner was a newbie as well, but instead of learning how to do it correctly, he just made it up. Throughout the whole house, we were constantly running into roadblocks and had to solve problems that could have been avoided if the person who wired the house in the first place had any idea of what they were doing!  But, now it's done {mostly}, and we have learned a ton along the way.   AND, we now have a few ceiling fans up just in time for 90+ temps his week!!


Thankfully, even though we removed a bunch of trees that provided shade around the house, the house still remains fairly cool throughout the day.  The recently installed fans are a HUGE help, along with the new window treatments I've installed in the kitchen to help shade the evening sun.  I keep the house closed up most of the day, as the air is so thick and humid - feels like we're back in Taiwan!

The garden hasn't been doing so hot.  We are in the midst of a pretty serious drought and with the temperatures in the 90s most of the past week, any watering we do evaporates so quickly.  We try to water daily - some days we forget - and have started to water in the evenings only, after dark, so that the water is more likely to soak in.

And the birds.  I mean really, who knew birds could be so annoying.  They are everywhere!  They nearly wiped out my wild raspberries and ate all but a few of my strawberries {I was able to salvage a few toward the end of the season with a mesh covering}.  They ate 80% of the seeds we planted in May before they were even able to sprout.  Of the 80 kernles of corn I planted, 8 remain!  I think we only got 3 or 4 bean plants of the 3 large rows I planted.  None of my broccoli, beets, or cucumbers survived.  And we now realize they are to blame for our herb garden not sprouting in April!!  Fortunately, my peas are doing well and the birds seem to be leaving my lettuce, tomatoes and peppers alone!  To help combat these little pests, we've invested in two items of defense - a bb gun & cuddly kittens! =)

Summer has brought with it delicious produce, and by joining the local CSA, our fridge stays pretty well packed with lots of green!  These past few weeks have been filled with salads {we haven't even touched our own lettuce in weeks!}, and not much else!  Definite, turn around from the few weeks we were eating whatever sounded good at the time due to my stomach issues - finally feeling back to normal!  We've also been able to enjoys some wonderful berries after picking 10# of strawberries and 5# of extra early red raspberries.  I tried my hand at canning, and feel I've found my new hobby!



Looking forward to sharing more soon - though I don't intend to spend much time blogging this summer as there is so much I hope to get done on the house.

Until next time....




No comments:

Post a Comment