Wednesday, June 20, 2012

my summer jam

Around here, the strawberry season was quite short.  Because of the drought, many farms were out of berries in a day or two and others offered strawberries so small most wouldn't want to mess with them. What was left were imported from other areas around the country.


Luckily, my friend Heather and I were able to find some at a local U-pick farm.  I spent the  afternoon wondering through the rows picking bucket after bucket of small to medium sized, wonderfully juicy strawberries with Heather and Miss Avery.

I came home with 10 lbs. of strawberries and 5 lbs. of red raspberries {because of the weather, these are super early, but very delicious!}.  

Then the work really began.


The recipe I used, found here, is sugar-free and only 4 ingredients.  It's a little runnier than your average jam, think ice cream topping, but it's oh so delicious.  We've eaten in nearly every morning this week on toast and homemade zucchini bread.  Definitely recommend this recipe if you're looking for an alternative to refined sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment