Thursday, August 2, 2012

living locally // farmers' market



This summer, I have really grown to love my local farmers' market.  My friend Heather and I would frequent this market last summer and I knew it'd become part of my routine this summer.  I'm there as soon as it opens each Wednesday at 5pm like clockwork.


Each week I head out to the farm {the fact that it's located at Salomon Farm Park makes it feel that much more authentic} to pick up our CSA share and browse the vendors.  This particular venue has limited space indoors, but over the past year has grown tremendously and now has a number of vendors set up along the sidewalk.  You can buy everything from syrup and honey, to bread and pies, there's even a gentleman from a local tea shop who sells loose-leaf teas.  There are loads of samples, and the people are so friendly - they're happy to answer any questions you might have.


My first stop each week is to pick up my CSA share from Rob {on the right} with Graber Farms.  Rob is great, he's friendly and informative - if he doesn't know the answer to a question, he knows who to call to get you the answer.  One week I asked for suggestions for how to cook summer squash and he called someone who talked to me for 15 minutes giving me oodles of ideas for a variety of produce that was in the box that week.  He gets to know his customers and even tosses in a little extra of those veggies you say you love so much - I often leave with an overflowing box!  {Because we opted for the full share this summer, I don't usually purchase other produce while at the market.  More on that next week.}

I love the community built around farmers' markets and the attitude of those who work and attend them.  Here in Fort Wayne we're blessed to have a market somewhere in the city nearly every day of the week.  

Sunday : East State Farm Market 12-4pm
Wednesday : Salomon Farms Park 5-8pm
Thursday : Georgetown Farmers' Market 4-7pm
Friday : Historic West Main St. 3-8pm

If you're from Fort Wayne and looking for more ways to "live locally" check out Live Local Fort Wayne.

Not from Fort Wayne, but looking for a farmers' market near you?  Check here.

No comments:

Post a Comment