Tuesday, February 19, 2013

planning ahead.



A few weeks ago a couple of pregnant friends and I swapped some freezer meals.  We each made 3 batches of 3 different meals, then traded 6 of those for 6 more meals.  It was a great way for us to fill the freezer with a few quick dinners.  We've already used 3 of those meals - one the evening I got home from the swap!!  They've been so convenient on evenings when we're working on the house and don't want to take time away to make a healthy dinner.

I've started being more intentional about meal planning lately - using a combination of our Green Bean Delivery, freezer meat/veggies/fruit, and canned veggies from out garden, it's really cut down on our grocery costs lately.  As I sat down to make our meal plan and grocery list this weekend, I decided to find a few recipes that I could also make freezer meals out of.

Last night I tried Pesto Chicken Alfredo Pasta Casserole, which was delicious!  The best part about recipes like this is that it makes WAY too much for just the two of us, but by splitting the pasta I'm able to make dinner for the evening, as well as put one away for later.  Also, because it's a casserole, I had about 40 minutes to prepare another couple of meals while I waited.  I prepped some Peachy Balsamic Chicken and 4 bags of cut up chicken ready for adding to any meal.

When we lived in PA we fell in love with freezer bread - uncooked loaves that we used for not only fresh baked bread, but also pizza, stromboli, pesto bread, and even cinnamon rolls.  We recently picked it up again at our local grocery and it got me to thinking that it would be really easy to make our own...so this weekend, I gave it a shot.  I tried this recipe, which made 3 loaves that are ready and waiting in the freezer as well.

I'm not sure I'll ever be a once a month mom, I like cooking too much, but the convenience of prepping a number of meals in one afternoon is very appealing - and often money saving!  My hope is to put up an extra meal or two each week in order to use this spring while we finish up projects around the house.

Any awesome freezer meal ideas you like to keep on hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment