Wednesday, August 14, 2013

day in the life @ 6 weeks


It's 3:30 am // Caleb and I are awake for an early morning feeding.  I sense that he's hungry from the grunts and moans he's making, not cries.  As I carefully pick him up, I decide to leave the light off tonight in an attempt to keep him in a semi-conscious state.  Despite the darkness, he latches on beautifully and drinks eagerly as we both drift back to sleep.

It's 5:30 am // Dan's alarm goes off waking both of us up.  I'm a little startled by the fact that Caleb is still resting on my chest.  Had it really been 2 hours since he woke for a feeding?  I ask Dan to put him back in his bassinet so he and I can get a little more rest.  Dan gently picks up his precious boy, kisses him softly on the forehead and lays him down to rest.  I roll over and am asleep before Dan leaves for work.

It's 7:30 am // Caleb and I have been up for an hour.  He's eaten again, been changed, dressed, and is happy as can be bouncing in his chair.  I straighten up the house a bit and make a pot of coffee.  When he starts to get restless, I swaddle him, grab my coffee, and together we head to the porch.   There's just something calming about the great outdoors, even for the little guy.  We spend half an hour rocking in a chair that used to belong to my grandmother, just taking in cool morning breeze until he falls asleep.

It's 9:15 am // After cleaning up the kitchen and starting laundry, I reheat my coffee and settle down at the computer to upload recent pictures of Caleb to share with family.  Soon he's up again and ready to eat.  After eating, we spend some time on the floor playing and reading.  Caleb loves tummy time and we often spend close to 45 minutes just hanging out together before he becomes sleepy.  Today he needs a little coaxing to close his eyes and fall asleep so I rock him a while.

It's 1:00pm // We've both had lunch and I know Caleb is tired, but the little man can't seem to calm down.  Every time he drifts to sleep and I go to lay him in his bassinet, he wakes up.  I decide to put on my wrap and together we put away dishes and hang the laundry out to dry.  It doesn't take long for him to fall asleep.

It's 2:45pm // Caleb wakes and another feeding ensues.  We play on the floor again until we're both too tired to play any more.  I lay Caleb on the bed next to me as we both drift in and out of sleep.  Afternoon naps are my favorite, they're especially grand when cuddled up next to my boy!

It's 5:00 pm // Dan has arrived home from work and scoops up Caleb for a quick hello before heading into the kitchen to prepare a bottle to feed him.  Then the cuddle up on the couch for some father-son time!  After pumping, I begin preparing dinner - fresh vegetables on the grill.  While dinner cooks, I hop in the shower and gather the clothes from the line.  Once Caleb is fed and dinner is ready, he and Dan join me in the kitchen for dinner.  I love that we're able to enjoy a meal as a family of three, Caleb in his little bouncy seat content next to Dan and I.

It's 7:45pm // Dinner dishes are done, Caleb is napping, and we're feeling a bit restless.  We decide to head out for a frozen yogurt date!  We don't go out often, but when we do it's often to YoYo's frozen yogurt!  When we arrive I put Caleb in a sling and he drifts back to sleep while Dan and I chat.  It's so great to have some "us" time.  After a while Caleb begins to stir and wants out of the sling, I hand him to Dan and the two of them cuddle and play right there in the restaurant.  I love watching them together!

It's 10:00pm // Lights out.  Caleb has been asleep for about 30 minutes, giving Dan and I some time to read in bed before going to sleep.


1 comment:

  1. This picture of Caleb makes me think of his Grandpa Ankney :-)

    ReplyDelete