"I like to eat, eat, eat, apples & bananas..."
Every night we sing this with Caleb during dinner. So when I came across this recipe for banana bread, and decided to substitute the oil with applesauce, I couldn't get this song out of my head!
After finding a few brown bananas in the freezer, I did a little search for "what to do with over-ripe bananas" and found a great round-up of recipes. With a name like "Triple Chocolate Quick Bread" I had to give this recipe a try!
Chocolate "Apples and Bananas" Bread
adapted from Crunchy Creamy Sweet's Triple Chocolate Quick Bread
makes 2 loafs
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1/2 c applesauce
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 overripe bananas, mashed ( about 1 cup )
1 1/2 c whole wheat white flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c chocolate chips
1/4 c milk
1. Preheat your oven 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and applesauce, mix until just combined.
3. Add eggs, bananas, vanilla and milk. Stir with a wooden spoon.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix gently, do not over mix.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder,baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
6. Divide batter in 2 greased bread pans.
7. Sprinkle 1/4 c. chocolate chips on each loaf, gently stir into the batter.
8. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
9. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze for up to a month.
We've been eating on this bread for over a week now and it's a great healthier alternative to my ice-cream addiction! What are some of your go-to healthier sweet treat recipes?