Sunday, August 2, 2015

date night.

We've had more dates in the past two months that in the past two years combined!  That's pretty sad to admit.  Though I didn't realize it at the time, I really struggled to leave Caleb after he was born.  It wasn't that I didn't trust the person whom I was leaving him with (usually my mama!), or that I was afraid something would happen.  It was more a guilt of not being there to give him what he needed.  In my mind, I was all he needed.  I was his only source of nutrition, and more often than not, his only source of nurturing.  When no one else could calm him, I could.  As his mama, I knew him so intricately that I could identify little nuances in his cries that told me what he needed.  I felt guilty leaving my baby with anyone who might not be able to read these cues, my sweet boy's only way to communicate.

It wasn't until our anniversary that year (when Caleb was 5 months old!) that Dan finally convinced me to leave our boy with my mama so we could spend the day together "just us!"  It was one of my hardest hurdles to overcome as a mother, but I'm so thankful for such a sensitive, yet persistent husband who reminded me how important it was to nurture our marriage!

While it's still not easy to leave our boys, my desire to spend alone time with my sweet husband drives me to make it happen!  So last night my mama watched our boys while we checked out a local winery and enjoyed ice cream without a toddler or baby in tow!  No matter how brief the time we get to spend together, we always return home refreshed, renewed, and refueled with more love to give our boys!

In a perfect world, I'd love to spend a night out with my man every week, but for now I'm so thankful for the opportunity to spend every minute we get in this crazy season of life!  XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment